Friday 8 April 2011

Tutorial Two: Digital imaging

 Up the top, right under my description, you’ll see a row of five pictures. They’re all attached to awesome memories of various adventures. But, yes, they do have more relevance than that to my blog! They are examples of digital imaging – the focus of this week’s blog. 

What is digital imaging? 
Wikipedia is SO good at this defining business... what a shame we can’t use it in assignments!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_imaging
There’s also a really good YouTube video that introduces digital imaging. It won’t let me imbed it into my blog, so follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBH3dPYfsLc  
Basically, digital imaging is the creation of computerized images and how they are used. 

Hardware and software
Digital imaging utilises lots of software and hardware. One of the tutorial tasks this week is to give you a quick rundown of the software and hardware that I am comfortable using. I was going to provide a nice bullet-pointed list for your viewing pleasure, but then realised I’d already answered this question in the previous post. Please see “Technology and Me!” below. 

Record keeping
Humans are record keepers. When I was overseas on my gap year, uploading photos onto Facebook was an awesome way to share my adventures with family and friends at home. I really struggle keeping a journal as I tend to get so carried away and write so much that I never have enough time to sit down and write. Popping a couple of photos on from each notable thing I did in an album meant Mum could log on to MY Facebook and get excited about whatever I was doing. I would link you to it, except all my settings are private. Sorry! 

I’m pondering whether I want to go on a “medical mission” over the summer when I graduate. Check out http://markandjoinnepal.blogspot.com.These guys are working at one of the hospitals I think it would be epic to be at, which specializes in leprosy. In a month, the OT and physio departments see an average of 200-250 outpatients and about 60 in-patients. They use lots of photos to show their family, friends and anyone else who’s interested what they have been up to and the new world they’ve found themselves in. 

“A new technology is rarely superior to an old one in every feature”
Really? This is a controversial statement, which I think has pretty weighted arguments both ways. In order for me to have photos to share with Mum and Dad when I was overseas, I needed to purchase a digital camera. Yes… there are some extremely flash looking ones out there. Mum was very amused when I decided I’d quite like to take up photography, and thought I needed a camera with a “nose”. I later learnt that “lens” was more the correct term. And so the hunt for a camera began. I was amazed at the variation in image quality, usability and price. I found a camera I was really happy with – which far outshines the family camera Mum and Dad brought a few years ago for the same price. However, out of the twenty odd cameras I looked at, only one had a view finder. The shop assistants assured me they really were becoming a thing of the past for entry level cameras, that I’d get used to using the digital screen, and that this was the only camera on the market for less than $1000 with a view finder. I had to compromise and decide that a better camera without a viewfinder was probably preferable. It took a while though – I really like the idea of having the option of having a view finder! I also quite like chunky things, as I have a tendency to drop things. A lot. Camera’s are rather expensive, and don’t like to be dropped. It was difficult finding a camera that didn’t feel like I could just snap it in half in an angry fit. Not that I ever get angry…
The other thing I have noticed is that with digital cameras and computers and photo programs is that I had to make a conscious effort to compile a photo album. I love looking through Mum and Dad’s albums of when we were little. They had no choice but to get their photos printed. It’s so easy for me to just load them on the computer, clog up my hard drive and carry on.
All in all, technology does progress and without a doubt get better. But in the constant striving for superiority, do we lose some of what makes technology unique and useful?  

Ethical issues
Digital technology is so prevalent and so easily shared, so it’s not surprising there are so many ethical issues that surround it. Remember how Google thought it would be a good idea to take aerial photos of the whole world, and make your house available for the world to see? I think it’s a brilliant idea! But as we saw last time, there are some pretty enormous breaches of privacy when people are caught off guard, or when the photos aren’t censored and made ambiguous enough.
Without starting big law suits and corporal ordeals, have you ever felt like your privacy has been breached by digital imaging? The ability to tag people in photos of Facebook is a brilliant idea if you’re a supermodel and consistently take wonderful photos. However, I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes there are photos you just don’t want the world to see!

And… The use in OT
There are heaps of examples of ways digital technology can be used in OT practice.
I saw blogs the other day that were created specifically for students at school. Their teachers and therapists recording all the significant learning experiences and daily happenings on here, so their families could be kept in the loop and comment on posts.
Digital images can be a really good outcome measure when practice as an OT. They can record where a client was to begin with, and how they have progressed.
Digital images can be used as a therapy tool if the occupation of photography is meaningful to the client.
Digital images are also gold in provider websites. An OTs job may include lots of equipment prescription, and as we constantly strive to better our practice, OTs are always on the look out for better technologies.  I really enjoyed browsing the following sites, which are just a couple of examples of how OTs may source their equipment. Having a photo makes the product much more sellable for the retailers, as we can be impressed by the fabulous design or colours, and really get a feel for the piece of equipment.
  • Medifab New Zealand  - Medifab is one of the big equipment providers in NZ. OTs make requests either privately, or more often than not, through a funding organisation to provide their clients with the best possible equipment.
  • Ministry of Health Equipment List - A list of all the MoH approved equipment provided through accessable, the funding organization for if you live in the Auckland/Northland reigon. 

Alice out =)

No comments:

Post a Comment