Wednesday 12 October 2011

Spirituality

Wednesday 12 October

Spirituality is just one of those words. I've heard it thrown around in conversation numerous times - in fact, I've probably used it once or twice. But when I actually can to write a blog post on it I realised I actually wouldn't have a clue how to explain it to someone who actually took the time to ask instead of just absorbing it into their vocabulary through osmosis as I seem to have done.

The World Health Organisation defines health as a "dynamic state of complete physical,
mental, spiritual and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity" (WHO, 1998).

Spirituality is clearly important! But what is it? Google has approximately 35,200,000 hits for "spirituality definition" - not hugely helpful! The themes I'm picking up on is that spirituality has to do with the immaterial rather than material and the human spirit. Spirituality is doesn't find it's substance in worldly things, but is to do with our relationship with ourselves, our beliefs and values, and/or a higher power, and encorporates our world views. It's not a word I particularly like; maybe coz I've heard it used in extremely airy-fairy contexts, or with really negative connotations. So if you're one of those people who doesn't particularly like it either, forgive me!, you'll get the gist eventually!

Last night I was anticipating having to write this post, a bit unsure of how to go about it. Bang! I've got a cool example of how my dancing and spirituality parallel each other beautifully. When doing swing (and ceroc last semester), I'm pretty bad at trying to be the lead. For those who aren't dancingly minded, the lead is usually the male, or the partner that directs the other. I am not the lead. When I try and be the lead we end up either a) doing two different moves; b)tripping over each other; c) me having freaked him out/thrown him off; and always d) in a bit of a pickle. When I have a really strong lead I guess it's easier to follow, but it remains a bit of an issue.

The last few weeks I've had quite a lot of big decisions to make, little pickles to sort out, and interesting questions arise. I like to think I've been really seeking God on them. But I know that whilst I'm quite good at saying "here, God, please can you deal with this?", I'm also very good at asking him to do exactly what he wants, but please could he have an answer by Wednesday, tick boxes a, b and c, and I don't know if it matters but I would really like x, y and z to be the answer. Conscious of this, I thought I'd made a pretty good effort to be completely open. However, last night I was talking to my flat mates, and one of them reminded me that I just need to let God be in control. He used the analogy of driving a car, but it also parallels perfectly with my dancing. When I keep trying to be in control, the end product is obviously going to be sloppy seconds compared to what my lead, or God (the best lead) has planned. Interesting!

For me there's quite a strong link between dancing and spirituality. As I've said, dancing is often how I express excitement, burn off energy, channel frustration and detach. You know how some people get louder and louder and louder and louder when they're happy? And some people giggle uncontrollably (I have to admit, I do that too)? And some people go into a state of complete bliss and appear totally unaware of the world around them? I move. I jump. I flap. I frolic. I leap where appropriate (and occasionally where not).

In the Bible, there are lots of references to dancing. It's pretty much always in the context of worship or rejoicing. Psalm 30:11 (English Standard Version) says "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing". Dancing is the antithesis of mourning, wailing and sorrow. I love verses like "Let them praise his name with dancing" (Ps 143:3). I totally relate, as like I've said dancing is the best way to release excitement and get excited for God.

While trying to research group work ideas for emotional expression for a totally different paper, I stumbled upon the following article. It's about a little boy who finally manages to dress himself independently after resisting for aaaaaages. When he does, he breaks into a dance. The Ot giggles and asks him what he's up to... he replies : "I am doing what you said, when I do things by myself, I can do the indepen-dance" (Gavacs, 2009). This is so cool! You should definitelt read the article, as my thoughts now totally mirror that of the author: "For me, the word independence will now be associated with a dance that expresses the spirit of the person, not just a task" (Gavacs, 2009).
The following are some fabulous quotes about dancing and spirituality...

The truest expression of a people is in its dance and in its music.  Bodies never lie.  ~ Agnes de Mille

Dancing faces you towards Heaven, whichever direction you turn.  ~ Terri Guillemets

To dance is to be out of yourself.  Larger, more beautiful, more powerful.  ~ Agnes De Mille

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.  ~ Author Unknown

Dance first.  Think later.  It's the natural order~ Samuel Beckett 

Stifling an urge to dance is bad for your health - it rusts your spirit and your hips.  ~ Terri Guillemets

Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts, because it is not mere translation or abstraction from life; it is life itself.  ~ Havelock Ellis

Dance is a song of the body.  Either of joy or pain.  ~ Martha Graham

References

Gavacs, M. (2009). The dance of independence. OT Practice, 14(10), 32.

Unknown author. (2010). Quotations about dancing. Retrieved from: http://www.quotegarden.com/dancing.html

World Health Organisation. (1998). Review of the constitution of the World Health Organisation: Report of the Executive Board special group. Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/gb/archive/pdf_files/EB101/pdfangl/angr2.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment