Wednesday 26 October 2011

Alllllllll the references

References
(sorry I can't make the lines indent appropriately using blogger. Oops.)

A'Court, S. (2011). New Zealand School of Dance Students. Retrieved from             http://www.nzschoolofdance.ac.nz/news_events/upcoming_performances/images/H2879            sml400wide.jpg 

Caulton, R., & Dickson, R. (2007). What's going on? Finding an explanation for what we do. In     J. Creek & A. Lawson-Porter (Eds.). Contemporary issues in occupational therapy. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd. 

Christiansen, C., & Townsend, E. (2010). Introduction to occupation: The art and science of living (2nd ed.).  New Jersey: Pearson.
These two defined affordances for me. Although in class we haven't stuck to the exact definition which talks about the actions allowed by an object, their description really helped me get my head around what it means for an object or an occupation to afford. They used examples of doors and chairs, and how elements of their design inform us as to how they should be used. This really clear cut, explainable understanding made it easier for me to analyse the affordances of something more abstract - an occupation as opposed to an object. It helped me see that you have to break down the occupation into parts to see what they lead to - for example, dancing is physical, therefore lends itself to physical health and physical conditioning. Cool.


Degas, E. (1873). Ballet rehearsal [Oil on canvas]. The Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge,     Massachusetts 

Gavacs, M. (2009). The dance of independence. OT Practice, 14(10), 32.
This is the coolest reading: I was so excited when completely fell across it. It made me excited about being an OT again, which is always good :) When talking about spirituality and affordances, I focused a lot on my own faith. This gives the most awesome example of a different kind of spirituality - and is totally the crux of being an OT. Only a child can see independence in such a simple, pure way which encapsulates completely  the essence of the word. I guess this reading also backs up how dance can be used to express emotions of joy and excitement... I'm not the only one!!


Hagedorn, R. (2000). Tools for practice in occupational therapy: A structured approach to core skills and processes. Edinburgh: Churchill-Livingstone.
Hagedorn talks about ergonomics being a dynamic balance. This triggered lots of thought processes for me - I could have written much, much more on it! It ties in well with Caulton and Dickson's assertation that OTs have to be able to make slight, invisible changes to tasks so the outcome can still be met. My experiences of dancing are full of times in which one element of the POE framework is slightly out of balance, and therefore the others have to be adapted. It was also REALLY interesting to consider how you could maintain a balance if using dance as an occupation with client's with significant deficits in one area. Interesting!

John, E., & Hall, L. (2005). Electricity. On Official cast recording: Billy Elliot the musical [CD]. London: Angel Recording Studios; Shoefactory Studios.
This is a song from the Billy Elliot musical. For a full version of the lyrics, see here. I saw the music in London, and loved this song as soon as I heard it. In my blog I've talked a bit about the paradox that dance can be: you have to be very disciplined and in control to perfect technique, but at the same time you can be totally out of control. These two elements can exist a part: you can dance fully in control and be focusing 100% on technique, or you can forget all about any formal training and just go with the flow. For me though, they often exist together. I think the way Billy puts it in the song is better than I could ever describe how it feels to dance :) 

Media.com. (2010). Street dance wallpaper. Retrieved from http://www.scenicreflections.com/files/Street%20Dance%20Wallpaper__yvt2.jp

New Zealand School of Dance. (2011). Balanchine's Emeralds. Retrieved from http://www.nzschoolofdance.ac.nz/news_events/images/nz-schoolofdance-Emeralds200wide.jpg

Singleton, W. (1972). Introduction to ergonomics. Geneva: World Health Organisation. 


Unknown author. (2010). Quotations about dancing. Retrieved from: http://www.quotegarden.com/dancing.html

World Health Organisation. (1998). Review of the constitution of the World Health Organisation: Report of the Executive Board special group. Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/gb/archive/pdf_files/EB101/pdfangl/angr2.pdf
I remembered this definition from a course last year and think it is a fabulous definition of health at it looks at the whole individual. When thinking about dancing and how it fits with the WHO definition of health, I was quite excited!! It totally helps maintain physical well-being, but also social and spiritual as my experiences prove. Meeeean!

WordPress. (2010). Sparks fly as ballet and street dance collide. Retrieved from http://artsyfutsy.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/ballet.jpg

Apparently the Bible doesn't get cited in a reference list, but that was one of my handy sources. All of the literary references here have been extremely useful in shaping my understanding of dancing, and why I find meaning in it. I've chosen five to elaborate on, but the others are also extremely valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment