Wednesday 21 September 2011

Affordance

Saturday 17 September

Affordances are defined by Christiansen & Townsend (2010) as the "actions allowed by an object" and as an "interaction between the object and person: the object's design suggests its purpose, function and usability, and the user determines the objects affordance" (p. 255). In class we used affordance in a slightly broader term - I'm not going to be discussing the affordance of an object but of dance as an occupation. To me, affordance is all about what a given occupation lends itself to - the story of the occupation. In our last tutorial, we were asked to consider how our occupation affords communication, other activity and occupations (connections), and the ethical considerations (moral properties). Having had just one dancing lesson, the following table which I muddled away at in class is a very rough overview...

Communication
Connections
What’s the story
Good and bad
Big capacity for complimenting (I like dancing with you!)
Culture – swing dance at pubs
Awkwardness
Encouraging
Creative expressions
Gifting
Small talk
Shared interest
Non-communication
Banter
Working together
Honouring someone else (Pip's lovely idea)
Eye contact/body gestures
Fitness
Sharing part of self
Teaching/learning
Good mental health

Respect
Growth of relationships

Communication of individuality
Growth of individuality

Networks
Practice throughout the week


Initially I was quite worried that because I am learning two new forms of dance I would find it hard to reflect on them. Not so. We started swing last Thursday, but somehow it has infiltrated the rest of my week! The class was ginormously fun, mostly because swing is hilarious and seems to just lend itself to looking ridiculous. I found it quite easy, and would go as far as saying I quite quickly developed mastery of the basic steps we were taught. This was good as I could have conversations with my partners. I have roped in three of my really good friends to do swing with me, which  makes it a lot more fun as we are already very comfortable with each other. I anticipate it's going to strengthen our friendships... shared laughter always seems to! I also loved that I got to meet several new people who I've started to form relationships with already. As we were all beginners, we all started on an even footing and could laugh about mistakes and encourage each other. I'm not particularly fluent when it comes to small talk, but ballet was great at providing subjects to talk about. To be in the class I'm in, you have to have done at least two years dancing in the past. So not only could I discuss uni/Dunedin/study with my new friends, but also their experiences of dance. It gave us instant commonalities, which fast tracked the relationship building thing.

Dancing afforded conversation all week. I now have an exciting new answer to the "what have you done this week" question. I'm suprised how many people appear almost impressed about our new hobby! I was called on for many demonstrations of my new skills, particularly by my flat mates. When showing off to my mother while in a paddock supposedly collecting pine cones, I fell over after slipping in a cow pat. Swing therefore affords me making a fool of my self. Then again, the same could be said for anything I set my hand to...

References

Christiansen, C., & Townsend, E. (2010). Introduction to occupation: The art and science of living (2nd ed.).  New Jersey: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment