Thursday 12 May 2011

iPads in OT practice

Heeeeeey! Long time no see!

So, for our assignment for this course we have to write a technology application report for an imaginary practice area. I was going to look into Wiihab which I've previously mentioned (see way back to tutorial one), but given I know very little about autism, even less about iPads, like an adventure and am a bit of a sucker for punishment - I chose to look at how iPads can be used with children who have ASDs. This is very new technology, so there's not a heap of research about it. But it's SO exciting! It's amazing how such a mainstream piece of equipment can be used to totally change the lives of a child with autism. Having spent rather a lot of time reading stories about families that have used them, the different practice applications and written a letter as if I was a real OT - I'm wishing I could just be a real OT, go buy an iPad and write an epic 60 page piece of research on whether they're actually that good or not. Like I'll ever be that organised. They certainly seem to have masses of potential!!


THAT'S COOL!

Here's a Dad who argues the iPad could be a miracle device for autistic children.

This and this is the article that sparked my interest... it took a while to remember I'm not actually a speech language therapist so don't actually need to go too over the top with he assistive communication side. But that's part of what's so cool about the iPad - it's got a hugely interdisciplinary focus. The same tool can be used as an augmentative communications device, a camera, a therapy tool that works on fine motor skills, a social stories maker and shower, a handwriting tutor and and a portable entertainment device.... along with all the other things an iPad does. Who wouldn't want one in their practice?!?!

All you need to do is Google "autism" and "iPad" and you'll find so many links to exciting breakthroughs parents and therapists have had.

I've been getting rather excited when writing the last couple of blog posts.... time to go get excited about doing something else!
Alice out.

No comments:

Post a Comment